Access to Utilities to water, electricity and telecommunication are provide by public enterprises. If you establish your manufacturing investement in industrial zones, utilities are avilable when you rent shed in industrial zone. Otherwise, it is adviced to apply for supply of utilities at an early stage. Each sector has its own procedure and time to deliver the services.
1. ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
The Ethiopian Electric Power has the authority of:
- Constructing and administering power generating plants,
- Administering High voltage transmission lines and substations,
- Whole sale of electricity,
- Conducting feasibility studies.
- Regarding power generating plants, currently, Ethiopian Electric Power administers 18 power plants there by generating a total of 4244 megawatt electricity nationwide.
- To get electricity supply need to file application to Ethiopian Electric Utility (EEU) and submit the following documents:
- 1. A copy of the investment license,
- 2. A blueprint of the electricity layout of the project prepared by a certified electrician and
- 3. A letter addressed to the local EEU office indicating the power needed for the business.
- The procedure can take up to 6 months before EEU installs the equipment for high voltage request.
- Regularly visiting the EEU office does help speed up the process.For detail information about EEU service procedures and requirements click here
2. ACCESS TO WATER SUPPLY
- Private commercial companies drill water for enterprises,
- To find such companies around areas closer to your manufacturing investment area.
- You only need to check at the Ethiopian Ministry of Water and Energy for names and addresses of possible service suppliers.
- To contact the MOWIE, visit its website at www.mowie.gov.et/
3. ACCESS TO TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES
- Fixed, mobile lines and internet services can be access from the public sector Ethiotelecom.
- For mobile service there is closed user group (CUG) option. It is a service offered to high mobile users.
- To get telecommunication services need to file application with Ethiotelecom office and submit the following documents:
4. COSTS OF PUBLIC UTILITIES
The factor costs published by the Ethiopian Investment Commission on annual basis intended for investors. It has a section on the costs of public utilities. For a sample, you can review the publication for 2014.
5. SEEK FOR SUPPORT WITH ACCESS TO UTILITIES
Do you need assistance to access utilities? Indicate so in the Investment Permit application form and the commission will help you .